Eyewear Care & Maintenance
Your relationship with your glasses is just like any other: you have to give it some love and care for it to last. Read some of our tips for taking care of your eyeglasses.
Clean your Eyewear
Cleaning your glasses on a daily basis is important in preventing smudges, scratches or other irreversible damage to your lenses and frames.
1. Wash Your Hands Thoroughly
Wash and rinse your hands thoroughly with water and oil-free soap to make sure your hands are free from dirt or grime that could transfer to your lenses. Use a lint-free towel to dry your hands.
2. Rinse Your Glasses Under Lukewarm Tap Water
Rinse your glasses under a gentle stream of tap water to remove dust and debris, which can help avoid scratches when cleaning them. Avoid hot water as it can damage the lens coatings.
3. Apply a Small Amount of Lotion-Free Mild Soap to Each Lens
Apply a small drop of fragrant-free, lotion-free mild soap to each lens and use your fingertips to distribute the soap on your lenses and frames.
4. Rinse Lenses & Frames Thoroughly
Under a gentle stream of tap water, rinse both sides of the lenses and the frames to remove all the soap. Don’t leave glasses wet for too long.
5. Carefully Dry Lenses & Frames with a Clean, Microfiber Cloth
Use a clean and dry lint-free microfiber cloth to carefully wipe glasses dry. Don’t dry with heat (hairdryer, etc.). Wipe in a side-to-side motion. Be careful not to wipe in a circular motion as doing so could grind any remaining dirt or debris into the lenses and damage them.
6. Inspect the Lenses Again & Wipe Clean Any Remaining Smudges
Check to see if any streaks or smudges remain and remove them with a clean, lint-free microfiber cloth.
Following simple steps to clean your glasses is effective in keeping your vision clear and avoiding damage to your frames and lenses. There are some household products that should not be used, including paper towel, napkin, tissues or toilet paper. Paper products like these can scratch or smear lenses or leave them full of lint. Other household products to avoid include glass or surface cleaners as their ingredients may cause damage to lens coatings.
Do's and Don'ts
We all pick up bad habits when wearing glasses. We have complied a list of essential DOs and DON’Ts for you to bear in mind.
- Be sure to keep your lenses and frames clean. It is recommended that you use only an approved optical lens cleaning cloth , sprays and wipes for maintenance.
- Always wet your lenses when you clean them. Wiping dry lenses may cause scratches.
- Keep your eyewear in a case. Open the case fully and gently pull them out. Sliding them in and out may damage the lenses. And Never leave your spectacle facing down.
- Always use two hands to take spectacles off. Remove them using even pressure on both earpieces. Using one hand while taking it off is not advisable as it may lead to the misalignment of the frames.
- Clean the frame at regular intervals. Cleaning it on regular intervals to avoid corrosion caused by dust, grime or sweat.
- Don’t use your shirt (or clothing in general) to clean your glasses. The dust and debris on fabrics can scratch your lenses.
- Don’t use paper towels or tissues to clean your glasses. These materials are too rough for your lenses and can cause small scratches.
- Avoid using household cleaning products to clean your lenses. Cleaning products usually contain harsh ammonia-based chemicals that can destroy the protective coating on your lenses. Opt for approved lens wipes and sprays.
- Don’t leave your glasses out on the bathroom counter when getting ready. Perfume, Hairspray and beauty products can get on your lenses and damage the protective coating.
- Don’t leave your glasses in the car on a hot or cold day. Extreme heat or cold can damage lens coatings and also may change the frame shape.
Experience Squeaky Clean Glasses !
Spexmaster has all necessary products to keep your glasses looking as good as new.